Monday, June 6, 2011

Letting Go...


Howdy Family and Friends! It's been 3 days since I put my foreign Busch girl on her plane back home to Sweden and let me tell you, I miss her. Never did I imagine that I would get that close to her. First of all, I have had exchange students before...although they were all boys, it was not this hard. Julia Nielsen came to live with us in Burwell on July 27, 2010. We picked her up in Kearney late at night and her first meal with us was an ice cream treat from Coldstone...I saved the receipt (Why? I don't know!)

Her first weekend was spent with a house full of friends she didn't know for the Rodeo weekend in Burwell. She rode the church float with us and attended Rodeo that weekend. I can only imagine what she thought!

From there, she got involved in school and meeting other friends and branched out a little from our home and soon enough started living a fun filled life! And now, here it is the time has come and she has gone home.

When we arrived at the airport (late of course) at 6:15 a.m., the airline threatened not to let her on the flight. Being the person I am, I kindly (STERNLY) informed the lady that she was a foreign exchange student on her way home and she had to be on the flight. Needless to say, things moved quickly and the next thing we knew, Julia was on her way home. No lengthy goodbyes, nothing. Nothing more than a quick hug goodbye and tears flowing freely from our eyes.

When I got home, I walked into Julia's room and of course her smell was still there, along with a few personal items that she couldn't fit into her bag. With tears still freely flowing down my cheeks, I grabbed her bed and let my frustrations out and moved it before collapsing on it and just crying.

Since she has gone home, I have been able to SKYPE with her twice which has been great but her room echoes and I absolutely don't like it. With each day, it gets easier, but I miss her terribly!

From my teary eyed picture window to yours, have a great week!

1 comment:

Julia said...

I agree with you that with each day, it gets easiet but it's still not easy. Not a day goes by without thinking about you and everytime I think of you I smile but it still hurts a little in my heart knowing it's gonna take awhile until I can see you again. I unpacked my suitcase yesterday which was no fun! You're with me though even if we don't live togheter anymore! I love you Jen and I will always do and I miss you so much!