Tuesday, April 13, 2021

"Do Something"

 Five years ago yesterday was one of the most special yet bittersweet days in my life. I stood with my husband and in front of my family, ministry peers, and friends was recognized as a licensed minister by the Nebraska District Council of the Assemblies of God and the General Council of the Assemblies of God minus two of my biggest cheerleaders, my in laws.  

For the next 2 years after I was licensed, I would watch my peers pursue the next level of ministry and receive the credential of ordination. I was so proud of them and thought to myself, I am happy where I am at. I know I am called and I am happy with my license level. But, in 2019, my thoughts began to change and I felt like I needed to "do something". I very distinctly remember telling Dave, "maybe next year I will pursue ordination."  I knew that would require going back to school--but could I do it? Challenge accepted! 

Fast forward 3 years.  My oldest son Jacob was a senior in high school, my youngest daughter Kelsey a kindergartner.  I again felt the urgency to "do something".  My exchange student business was going well and the Busch family was dreaming big dreams.  There was talk of "the lasts" as we journeyed through the senior year and excitement with the upcoming football and wrestling seasons. The thought of all my babies in school together was bittersweet but with that opportunities came.  I applied to help out at the elementary school with a special ed student as a sub. Life was perfect.  Football season came and Burwell found themselves at the State Championship game in Lincoln.  Jacob and Caleb were living the life on the Huskers turf in Memorial Stadium and came up short of the victory.  Then wrestling season came for Jacob.  He had one goal for his senior year to "do something"--and that was make it to state.  Jacob and Dave trekked all over the state for his wrestling season and the moment of truth came when it was "do or die"--so Jacob did. He qualified for the State wrestling meet in Lincoln.  Once again our family made the trip to Lincoln to cheer on a big dream.  Jacob wrestled with all his heart and then we watched as his dreams abruptly ended when his opponent picked him up, went to throw him, Jacob planted and both knees were injured.  Season over. Multiple surgeries required.  

While the boys were chasing sports dreams, I began the process of applying for ordination.  I met with Pastor Terry Brown for guidance.  Everything appeared to be a go and then March came.  Our world began to shut down.  Life then came to an abrupt stop.  The last day of in person school was March 16.  Our family had to put our foreign exchange daughter Debi on a plane back to Switzerland.  District Council was postponed.  Prom was canceled. Jacob graduated high school in our driveway with no pomp and circumstance in two and a half minutes.  Kelsey graduated Kindergarten in the living room.  It was not what we had dreamed.  I stopped pursuing my dream of getting ordained.  

Then, slowly, our little community began to open up. Summer activities resumed with restrictions. Church Camp happened.  Football camps happened throughout the summer. There was talk of school starting in person.  Rodeo was held in Burwell, football practice started with a new set of dreams for the season. We adopted a new son from Finland into our family for the school year.  We dropped Jacob off for his first semester of college at UNK and I had a first day of school for the 2020 school year as a para sub for the first few weeks due to quarantine.  District Council was held and again I felt the need to "do something" as I watched my peers being passed the mantle and get ordained--one who was a Burwell native.  Fire reignited to pursue ordination.  Not only were the boys dreaming and setting goals, but so was I.  Caleb dreamed of running a 1000 yards on the field and winning the State Football Championship, Isaac dreamed of playing varsity football with his brother and going to the State Championship. I had ordination on the brain and a crazy thought of going back to school to finish my teacher education.  This family was going to "do something". 


Football season came. I had the privilege of being a Cheer coach with a fantastic group of young ladies who cheered and yet supported my ministry as I would pray over our football team before every game.  They stood with me and prayed.  I felt blessed. 

Isaac was Caleb's backup on varsity and starting running back for the JV. He was living the dream until a JV game knocked him out of the rest of his season with a severely dislocated shoulder which would eventually require surgery.  Caleb accomplished his first dream of making the 1000 yard club for football and then the 2000 yard club.  He still had his sights set on a State Championship.  Burwell did find themselves with a very successful season and the opportunity of playing in the State Championship was going to happen--on the home field in front of the hometown.  The atmosphere was amazing and Caleb and the Longhorns had a stellar game only to walk away as the runner up--again. 

After the thrill of football season had worn off, the need to "do something" was still very strong.  I contacted the Nebraska Ministry Network and began the official application for ordination.  I didn't know if it would be accepted due to deadlines being passed but at least I was moving forward even if I had to wait until 2022.  I also decided to join Jacob as a Loper at UNK to finish my teaching degree so I enrolled and was accepted.  I took my first class in December so I could become an official substitute teacher in the local school.  God continued to take care of me and two job openings in two different local schools came available.  I applied due to COVID not permitting a lot of exchange students to come over this year.  I was hired at Burwell Public Schools as a SPED para.   UNK then informed me I had received a grant to cover my Spring tuition and I became a full time college student!  Little did I know, God still had my dreams in mind and on December 28, I was contacted and told I would have an interview in just one week with the leaders of my state for my ordination credential.  So much change in just one short month! 

Throughout February and March I hadn't heard anything official from the General Council but my presbyter told me I would want to make sure I was at the Multiply Conference in April.  I couldn't believe it.  This was happening.  The official phone call came April 3.  I would be ordained.  


 The opening message from our Network Superintendent, Pastor Toby, at our Multiply Conference for the Nebraska Ministry Network (formerly known as the Nebraska District Council of the Assemblies of God) was "Do Something". As I listened and reflected back on the last five years of my life since receiving my license credential, a LOT of life happened but yet through this God has been faithful and the urgency to "do something" never left me. Tonight I will be the one standing before my peers receiving my ordination credential. 

No comments: